When I was a little girl, the words “New York Fashion Week” sounded so dreamy and far-reaching. I am a first generation Asian-American who was born and raised in a once-small suburban Texan town called Pearland. So, the idea of one day attending NYFW seemed so unattainable in my long list of life goals.
Fast forward to today, I just attended my second NYFW and I’m still over the moon about the whole experience. With my travel blog, it’s crazy to think about the amount of opportunities it has brought me over the years. From running around with my travel backpack and only affording to stay in hostels to now comfortably staying in a brand new Manhattan hotel with a luggage full of designer clothing, it’s a little too far-fetched to me that this would all happen in a span of 4 years.
View this post on Instagram
The only occasion that triumphs beauty sleep is NYFW. 💤 Stay tuned for some New York blog posts soon! 💕 For now, be sure to turn on your post notifications so you can be the first to see my new posts! When you save my photos, you can also earn $100 (see my “Win $100” highlights to enter). 🤳 http://liketk.it/2zSKp @liketoknow.it #liketkit
I noticed that the more I shared my experiences on Instagram during NYFW, the more I would get asked why I think others should attend this 2-week fashion event. While I understand that New York Fashion Week is not everybody’s cup of tea, I also recognize that readers who live the standard 9-5 may be confused to the hype. The exclusive-only, “high-fashion living” persona that New York Fashion Week embodies can be a turn-off, and as somebody who values traveling for the sake of enjoying simple, cultural experiences, it all seems to be a paradox from everything I stand for. I totally get it.
If you are ever curious as to why I decided to go to NYFW and/or may even be considering to attend some designer shows yourself, here are my reasons why NYFW is a good idea:
WHY TRAVELING TO NYFW IS A GOOD IDEA:
- Fashion is for everyone. New York Fashion Week is not just for the rich, or the young, or the celebs, or the fashion bloggers…it is for you. Not a lot of people may realize this, but many of the brands and clothing items you already own are designed and created with the latest designer trends in mind. It was apparent to me, from the moment I stepped in line for my first show, that fashion is universal yet simultaneously individualistic to all people. Trust me when I say that everything goes and all are welcome in NYFW.
- Everyone who’s anyone will be there- so say hello. Because of my previous reason, you may see a ton of influential figures and top companies present in some of the events and shows you attend. This would be one of the few opportunities where you would be in the same room as someone you’ve watched and admired on TV, magazines, online, etc. If you want a good place to network, it would be at NYFW, because who knows? You may get a cool opportunity and business relationship from it, but if anything, treat everyone with kindness and respect. You don’t know who’s watching and who’s listening.
- Attending a fashion show will inspire you. Guaranteed. There are only a few occasions during my travels where I feel lucky to witness something magical, and sitting inside a room watching a real designer runway is one of them. Seeing a designer outfit, AKA an art form, beautifully glide across a runway walk makes me want to squeal, cry happy tears, and grin like a 3-year old all at once. The dimmed lights, blazing retro music, and sense of belonging amongst a room full of stylish people is quite amazing. No matter the amount of shows I’ve attended, I would always return back home to my wardrobe with a newfound sense of style and perspective.
- It’s okay to dress up and “live it up” sometimes. Something I will NEVER understand is why people, especially women, would shame others in dressing up to look and feel their best. While I understand that it is unhealthy to constantly base your self-worth on materialism (which is something I am growing and challenging myself more this year), the truth is, it’s all about having balance. I’m happy to showcase a variety of different types of travel in my blog- whether it’s budget friendly or fine luxury. To me, travel + NYFW go hand in hand because I’m experiencing something new and learning about myself from it. So, if opportunity knocks for you to attend, dress up and have a blast!
- You’ll never regret it. Lets get real for a minute: the amount of preparation that goes into New York Fashion Week takes a whole lotta work. You may never get rid of the mini panic attacks you’ll get while standing in line hoping to get a good seat inside nor the agonizing stress from navigating to your next show on time. However, once it’s all over, you’ll feel proud of what you’ve styled along with the amount of memories you’ve gained from the experience. No matter how sore my feet get from walking around New York, I don’t regret a thing. Ever.
Have you ever attended NYFW or plan to go next season? Let me know what you think in the comments! Special thanks to Natalie from CHVNNEL MEDIA for some of the photos featured on my post! I’ll be sharing more of my NYFW content, so be sure to follow me on Instagram. Until next time!